Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 604E crossing over

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have always run my set of 604E's with the stock crossovers, but I have this Rane AC22 sitting here that I really ought to cross them over with. Just wondering what settings some of the rest of you have arrived at with this combination, (frequency and delay) as I am sure there are a number of them out there. I will still set them up with a RTA, but sometimes it's nice to know you're in the right ballpark. From reading the manual I'm guessing that 1500 hz and a setting of about 2 on the delay?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Thinking

    I have three 605A 's just back from Great Plains for Re Mag & Re Coning.They Did a surperb job . I have built passive time delay crossovers (really a work in progress )
    I use a eMac computer with a Scope and FFT signals and analysis. I also have music software to generate tones etc. My test signal for time delay is a 1 kHz tone edited for only 1/2 of a cycle. This pulse is followed by 0.2 seconds of silence and repeated many times. I burned this to a CD and put my CD player on ?track repeat?. An omni microphone is suspended 12 inches (30 centimeters) on axis in front of the speaker. The micpreamp output is connected to the eMac input for Scope time delay and FFT frequency response graphs.

    The software I use is SignalScope, SignalSuite, Peak 4 (G4+), and Toast 6 Titanium.

    The Rane has an adjustable 0-to 2.0 msec LF delay . My 604s require about 0.4 msec delay . The older 604Es are deeper and require more delay ( try 0.5 ) . If you have newer speakers with alnico magnets try 0.2 msec.
    The crossover freq spec is 1550 Hz.

    Don

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The new Iconic DN604E Passive Crossover (designed by Jerry Hubbard for us) has a crossover frequency of right at 1500 cycles - it's about all that the small horn used on the 604C-G series can really do...

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I apologize for a typo : My * 605s * require about 0.4 msec delay.
    Don

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the replies, they will help, but what I was really getting at was the inherant ambiguity of the Rane AC22 delay adjustment. Apparently the amount of delay induced varies with the crossover frequency, so they just put some numbers on the dial that are apparently meaningless. They do have a chart in the manual that gives a rough approximation, but they measure it in inches of offset instead of miliseconds (but I can convert that) I'm also guessing that since the numbers are apparently not related directly to real units, that they are not calibrated as such, and I'll really have to measure the response to get it right.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I am also using the Rane 22.
    If you want it right, you will have to measure. This also applies
    to the crossover frequency. In my case I crossed at 500 but
    the dial read more like 400. I used an audio oscillator, dual
    trace scope and spl meter for the tests. I tuned the phasing
    control for maximum spl at the crossover frequency. It was
    a very delicate adjustment and the dial pointers are useless.
    Their is a very low level hiss in my Rane 22 and I would like
    know if others have that too. Maybe my unit is not up to specs.
    Its a later model with the outboard power supply.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Thinking
    If you have an oscilloscope or a PC ( get Scope software ) ; you can see the two pulses ( LF & HF ) and just dial them in to overlap .Use the test pulse I described above . Connect the Scope input to a microphone preamp and a Mic positioned 12? on axis of your speaker . Also connect the Scope Trigger to the Woofer amp output . Check the LF & HF speaker scope signals individually and then together.
    Don

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Art J.

    Their is a very low level hiss in my Rane 22 and I would like
    know if others have that too. Maybe my unit is not up to specs.
    Its a later model with the outboard power supply.

    Not sure about the AC22, but I have had several of the Rane EQ units that had bad caps on the circuit board, the result was always that the associated frequency control didn't have any effect. So you might have a look at some of them on the AC. I will also add that Rane is very good about support, you can get replacement parts without a hassle.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    A minor correction -

    Jerry Hubbard just got through measuring a 604E for me, and he says that the absolute lowest that the C-G horn will go is 1700-1800 Hz. It's just too small to work lower than that.

    Sorry about the 1500 Hz I posted earlier - I got that number burned into my head from the 604E spec sheets when I was young, and it just popped out...

  10. #10
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd,

    He didn't by any chance measure a "B" horn, did he?

    Just curious.

    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.